As for the new beginning, my little Carson was off to his first day of preschool today. When some friends approached me about doing a little preschool for our kids, I really felt like this would be something that could really help Carson. He's excited to play games and do activities with kids his age, but most of all, to take his lunch in his Lightning McQueen lunch box.
Monday, February 2, 2009
The End of an Era...and the Beginning of Another
Jensen has finally stopped nursing. (Actually it's been two weeks, but life has been busy and I've left blogging off my to do list!) And seeing as how he will turn one NEXT WEEK I feel pretty darn good about my breastfeeding experience with him. I really struggled with Carson (he only nursed exclusively for 4 months before we had to start supplementing with formula, and I fought hard to keep him nursing part time until he was 8 months old- until, at which point, I didn't have it in me to continue...literally.) I cried the day I realized that I couldn't nurse Carson full time anymore. So when Jensen came around I made a serious effort to make it work my 2nd time around. I drank plenty of water and Mother's Milk tea, took calcium, fish oil and fenugreek three times a day, plus my prenatals, napped when both the boys napped, and kept a strict nursing schedule. In the beginning I pumped, but since Jensen wouldn't take breast milk from a bottle, I quickly (and happily) gave him formula from a bottle every evening to help him (and me) get through the night. And all my hard work paid off. I had a totally different attitude about not nursing my baby anymore. I felt I had accomplished a great feat and it really was a great thing for both Jensen and me. Now, instead of having to cover up in public, I get to just snuggle him with his bottle of milk. And I've been getting lots of awesome baby hugs and kisses to make up for all the non-nursing time...not a bad trade!
(My apologies to anyone who found my discussion of breast feeding too personal- Dustin- but it's a big deal to me, and it's been a big part of our lives for the last 11 months!)
As for the new beginning, my little Carson was off to his first day of preschool today. When some friends approached me about doing a little preschool for our kids, I really felt like this would be something that could really help Carson. He's excited to play games and do activities with kids his age, but most of all, to take his lunch in his Lightning McQueen lunch box.
As for the new beginning, my little Carson was off to his first day of preschool today. When some friends approached me about doing a little preschool for our kids, I really felt like this would be something that could really help Carson. He's excited to play games and do activities with kids his age, but most of all, to take his lunch in his Lightning McQueen lunch box.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Carson is so cute! I'm glad you had a good breastfeeding experience with Jensen. I'm hoping that happens to me with Baby #2. Although now that I'm over feeling bad about not being able to breastfeed Ashlyn, it's going to be really tempting to just not breastfeed the next one because a lot of things about formula are so great. But hopefully I'll have a good attitude and be determined like you!
What no one tells you about nursing is what an emotional roller-coaster it is. I've struggled with nursing with all 4 kids (and currently am), but can't get myself to quit. I know he'll be fine on formula, but it can really make you feel like a bad mother to give it up! Good for you for working so hard.
I still have a nurser and although I think breastfeeding is great, it is always nice to have things back to yourself!
There are awesome things about breastfeeding and bottle feeding. I don't judge any mother that chooses to do either (hey, I've done BOTH) because it's a really personal choice. For me, it was also a personal battle, and I feel rather triumphant!
Isn't it funny - you want to breastfeed so badly and struggle, while I hate every minute of it but it comes so easily to me that I do it anyway. Congrats on making it to a year and even bigger congrats on weaning him off - Horray!!!!
I took nursing for granted with my boys. Ben was the only one who ever took a bottle; however, I have no experience with formula. None of my kids took it. Nursing was easier anyway for me. Then Karmin came along. Those last 4 months were really hard. Stress does a lot to your milk supply apparently. So now I know what an accomplishment it is to nurse. So congrats.
Way to go! That IS an accomplishment.
Post a Comment