Thursday, February 12, 2009

We Need $ For...

Dustin has been working like crazy these days. We are so grateful that he has such an excellent job, and that there is plenty of work to do. But it is hard when we don't see him for days on end because he's practically living at the office. And it's hard for Carson to understand why he is gone so much.

So last night we took dinner to Dustin so he could eat, and so that we could see him for a few minutes. Carson was sad that Dad wasn't coming home with us and Dustin was trying his hardest to explain why he had to stay at work. On the way home Carson brought it up again, so we started talking about how Dad goes to work so that we can have money to pay for things. Here's what our conversation sounded like.

Me: "Carson, can you think of some things that Dad's hard work pays for?
Carson: "...Beds...and a refrigerator..."
Me: "Yeah, and our house, and food. What about clothes?"
Carson: "Yeah... and friends!"
Me: (Laughing) "We don't buy friends with money, sweetie."

(Then I realized that we were talking about different things. See, we call our stuffed animals "friends.")

Me: "Do you mean friends like Bunny and Peanut?"
Carson: "Yeah!" (Duh, Mom, what did you think I was talking about?)
Me: "Oh, well, then yes, Dad has to work to so we can buy stuffed animal friends."

So just in case you're going through tough times in this economic downturn, you can always be our friends...Dustin works hard so we can afford them!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Awwww! :)

SD and EJ said...

That is so funny! We call stuffed animals friends too. And I totally understand about not having a husband around. Much of the time I feel like a single mother because Eric is gone so much. I guess it's worth it though, right?

SD and EJ said...

Oh, and thank you so much for that cute outfit for Ashlyn! I love the LOVE on her butt!!

starstruck_texan said...

I love little minds....never know what they are gonna say next.

Kristen said...

That's good because if Dustin keeps beating us at Settler's you might have to start paying us to be your friends;)

Kasey said...

I love it. What a funny conversation. Kids say the best things.

Lauren B. said...

That is really cute!

Well, I figure I've been friends with Dustin for quite a long time now and I think he is overdue on his payment to me!! Ha Ha!