Thursday, July 5, 2012

I Hope you Like Blurry Pictures

Because apparently, that's pretty much all I can take! In my defense, I didn't want to turn the flash on last night while we were watching fireworks, and so it goofs with the stability settings on my camera. Here, I'll give you one that Dustin used the flash with, and so it looks normal. :)

We actually kept Mason up this year to watch the fireworks. He was so tired, but he seemed to like them. Next year it will be so much cooler for him.
This is dark, but it's Jensen and Carson with their friend, Lusia. We crashed our neighbors lawn again this year for some nice viewing of the city of Kyle's fireworks. We could actually see fireworks in the next city over as well!
 The kids enjoyed their glow sticks. They thought making silly pictures with them was just as fun! I had high hopes of testing out something very cool this year. I had seen something that someone posted on Facebook from Pinterest that showed how to make glow in the dark bubbles. The idea was to take a glow stick, activate it, cut it, then pour it into bubble solution, and voi-la! Glow in the Dark Bubbles. Unfortunately, it didn't actually work. Thankfully I experimented the night before so we avoided a huge disappointment. While the cut open glow stick did make the bubble solution glow, it did not produce glow in the dark bubbles. In fact, it wouldn't produce any bubbles at all because the glow stuff was oily, and thus it rendered the bubble solution totally useless after they mixed. Major sad face for me, but the kids still loved their glow sticks and played with their bubble wands while there was still enough light to see them! 
 We enjoyed a nice evening with family and friends. Yes, the food was great, the company was entertaining, and the fireworks were beautiful, but the best part of the night just may have been sitting with Carson at the piano and having him sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" for everyone. It was awesome on so many levels. 
Happy Independence Day!

4 comments:

Niki said...

I always get a kick out of the fact that you guys are in short sleeves when it is dark out--even at Halloween. I know, I know--I need to get out more.
That was smart thinking to try your project the night before. I bet if you ever joined pinterest you would have the coolest boards ever!
Happy 4th!

Maren and Dustin said...

Niki, not only are we in short sleeves, but we were sweating. And we usually are sweating on Halloween too!

Heaven help me and everyone I know if I get a Pinterest account!

Niki said...

I know I personally would love it if you got a Pinterest account!

We go through so much strawberry jam at our house. It is crazy. I'm hoping that amount will actually last us a year. I blame it on crepes--my kids love crepes and they love jam in them. And I'll make you a deal next time you come up here, I'll make you some strawberry shortcake and I'll give you some jam to take home. Now if I can brave the heat some time and take a trip down there...well I guess I can't guarantee that I'll be bringing food with me (:

Lauren Pomeroy said...

How fun! I'm sure the fireworks, company, and food were fantastic! I'll just live vicariously through you for this 4th of July. Apparently the 4th of July is not that big of deal here in the Virgin Islands :-(

Oh and don't believe everything you see on Pinterest! I've tried many projects and of course they never turn out as good as it looks in the pics! But then again, maybe it's just my lack of craftiness! :-)