Monday, August 15, 2011

Absent

So it's been a while since I blogged. Partially because I didn't feel I had anything even remotely blog worthy to write about. And partly because I was too busy. Kind of contradictory, I know, but sometimes busy isn't exactly exciting!

Not to jump the gun, but I thought I'd post a little about Carson's birthday. It's tomorrow, but we've spent the last month preparing for his party. His final chosen theme (because he's had about 25 during the last year that he has mentioned) was "ANGRY BIRDS!" Just in case you don't know, Angry Birds is this hilarious phone app where you sling shot upset little birds into all different kinds of fortresses built by some mean little pigs who have stolen the said birds eggs. It's the most popular phone app out there! And while it is super cute and funny, there is very little licensed Angry Birds material to be had. Which made this birthday theme a little more of a challenge, since I couldn't just go to the party isle at the grocery store and buy a bunch of pre-made crap. I had to spend lots of time making homemade crap instead. Fortunately for me, the internet is a wonderful source of ideas that other wildly creative people are willing to share!

So here's what we've got: And I apologize for the less than fantastic pictures, since I'm working solely off my phone these days.
The Invitation: And yes, I drew the bird.These cute bags, which Carson helped me make, are for gathering eggs for a little egg hunt. I patterned the faces after my balloons below.The candy filled eggs, and even some special "Golden Eggs."These next 3 are yarn pompoms that I made so that the kids can play a miniature version of Angry Birds with small bathroom cups. Got this fun idea here. We made enough birds for each of Carson's guests to take one home. But the pigs are my favorite!Here are some more of my little birds that Carson thought he and his friends could color while waiting for everyone to arrive.This is pretty much it for my decor. The balloons are my very favorite thing! I got the faces (and the banner) here for free! And can you tell that the banner is made up of iPhones? Pretty clever.And these are the cupcakes. Yes, I know, I studied baking in college, I should SO be able to do much better than this. But really, like a group of 5 & 6 year olds even care, and even if they did, whop-a-dee-doo, because the cupcakes are just going to get eaten anyway!!!!! At any rate, I thought they were funny and Carson enjoyed helping me assemble them. I got the idea for them here.
There is one last game that we've prepared for. A giant life sized Angry Birds game to be played in the backyard with water balloons, a fortress of assorted boxes and pig balls that we made. Pictures to follow, but in case you want a sneak peek, here's where I got the idea. It's been a lot of work, but if you know me, you know I've been preparing as best I could little by little, so that it didn't all slam me during the last week. Hope this kid has a very memorable 6th birthday!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Thank you for doing all the leg work for Austin's birthday party for me and sharing all your fantastic links. Now if only you would come to Omaha and bring all the stuff and do it with me, now that would be fun! So cute and I'm so amused we're both doing the same thing for our August birthday boys! Looks like he'll have an awesome birthday party! Happy Birthday Carson!

Jenn said...

I LOVE it! What a cute and great idea. I can't believe Carson is 6!! Holy molely, where has the time gone? I can't wait to see the Birthday party pictures!!!