My father-in-law, Randy, had brain surgery last Thursday. Brain surgery sounds so scary, and it was, but thankfully it wasn't as serious as it could have been. Due to some sudden vision loss, he spent a week getting poked, prodded and tested, eventually discovering that he had some serious sinus issues. To spare everyone all the yucky details I'll try to make this simple. His sinus cavities were so clogged that they calcified, eating away his forehead on the left side, and pushing against his eye on the right side. The doctor opted to operate on the right side for now, in order to save the eye and attempt to recover some of the vision loss. Later this year they plan to operate again on the other side.
The surgery went well. He's coming home today.
Dustin says it's a shame that an older man with such nice hair should have to shave it! We're so thankful for all the prayers that have been offered on his behalf. It has been a sweet experience to hear Carson remember his grandpa in his prayers, too. We are also thankful for modern medicine and skilled and trained medical professionals. But mostly we are so grateful to have the gospel, a Savior who has atoned for our sins, and the knowledge that our families can be together forever.

6 comments:
Wow, what a scar! That is amazing. So fortunate that they discovered it and could do something. I had a tumor on my pituitary gland removed 10 years ago, but they actually went through my nose and sinus cavity to get to it, so no scar! The things they can do these days are so amazing. I'm glad he's doing well.
Wow...I had NO idea that sinus issues could lead to such a precarious situation! Scary...poor guy, glad to see he's on the recovery side of things now, what an ordeal to go through.
I don't usually get too queasy, but that picture is a little hard to look at. I'm glad he's doing well! I'm sure it's been a little scary for you guys. And you have to love that little Carson, always praying for everybody. What a good kid!
I'm glad he's okay!!! It's scary what sinuses can do! Hugs!!!
Seriously, everyone we tell says, "Humm, maybe I should get my sinuses checked!" I guess it's just like anything else, we have to keep our bodies as healthy as we can, and if there's something wrong, we need to take care of it before it gets worse! We're so happy Randy didn't put off going to the doctor!
Thanks for keeping us updated. We've been praying for Randy and wish him a speedy recovery. Take care guys!
Post a Comment