Saturday, May 10, 2008

Bats or No Bats

Austin is home to the world's largets urban bat colony, which lives under the Congress Street Bridge from about April to August. Dustin and I have been here for 3 years (WOW!) and had yet to see the famous show. Or shall I say "have" yet to see it.

We decided to check it out last night with my mother-in-law, brother-in-law, Jason and his girlfriend, Amanda (since they are in town for the weekend.) We camped out under the bridge for nearly an hour with hundreds of other people waiting to see the bats come out. Finally, a 1/2 hour after the sun had completely set, we gave up and headed back to the car to get Carson in his jammies. Jason and Amanda toughed it out for another 15 minutes, and they finally saw some bats head out.

So, sad to say, Carson spent the rest of the evening telling us "the bats didn't come out." Maybe some day we'll get lucky and actually view this phenomenon.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Trust me, you didn't miss much. Andy and I had bats in our last place and I would be so happy if I never have to see another ugly bat again! But I guess if you didn't have to live with them, then it would be cool to see them, from a far distance.

Kasey said...

Yeah, even when I've seen the bats come out, it's always been kind of a letdown. And they always have the biggest audience awaiting them forever too. I guess bats aren't really much into show biz. If I was their manager I'd have some really cool music to herald their coming out and I'd make them fly formations and I'd sell special bat glasses so people could actually see them. But you know, they don't ever ask for my opinion on it.

Lauren B. said...

I would like to see the bats. That sounds like a cool place to see. Hope it was a fun night even though the bats didn't come out.