As predicted, it didn't take me long to stop nursing Hudson. We began having problems a few weeks ago before our trip to Wisconsin. He became very fussy during feedings, so I had some friends suggest I cut out dairy. It helped, but, it lead to problem #1- no dairy meant less calories, which made it harder for me to make milk.
Then we noticed toward the end of our vacation that I was getting a type of yeast infection called thrush. Because we were away from home (and a couple of days away from the needed medications) I started nursing Hudson with a nipple shield at every feeding. Problem #2- full time shields meant Hudson wasn't stimulating as much reproduction of milk as before.
At last we made it home and finally got the meds we needed (a liquid for Hudson, a cream for me) but after a week on it, I still had symptoms. So my doc called in the big guns with another med. Unfortunately, it was the last straw, problem #3- taking heavy duty medications has been known to dry up my milk in the past. History repeated.
Last week I was nursing my sweet baby full time and supplementing with one bottle of formula in the evening. Now I am bottle feeding Hudson all day and nursing him once in the night. Sadly, I think last night was the last night of our nursing experience. While it was so difficult to nurse him, and I was starting to look forward to the day I could quit, I never expected it to happen SO soon. With my other boys, I at least made it to 8-9 months before we completely stopped. I find myself mourning the experience already. But I know it's what he needs. I was beginning to starve that poor child. He seriously gained over a pound in a few days as soon as he went on formula. And it was VERY stressful for me, and I feel much more myself since we made the switch. But it's difficult nonetheless.
But fortunately for me I learned this lesson with my first baby. No matter how you feed them, breast or bottle, they will still grow up to be smart, beautiful and wonderful children as long as you love them.


3 comments:
So true, Maren! I'm sorry you had to stop nursing him so soon, but glad you feel okay about it. He will be smart and handsome and awesome just like his brothers.
I know I take things for granted and one of them is nursing. It wasn't until Piper was about 10 months and my milk dried up that I realized how big a problem this could be. I had no idea what to do because she was also milk and soy intolerant (and everything else intolerant!). It was so stressful. But they do grow up and are still happy and I'm glad you found peace!
You forgot problem #4 - you are older. At least in my case, the older I get the less milk I produce. I could have nursed triplets with Bryce but by the time I was done feeding Cameron he was only getting 3.5 ounces each feeding. Poor kid. And I alwasy knew when I'd cheated on my no dairy diet because I'd have so much more milk. Such a bummer. But look at that smiling face with Carson - I think he's just fine!
Post a Comment