Friday, September 14, 2012

Laying on the Couch

If there is one phase that completely explains what I've done all week, it is "laying on the couch."
Saturday night I told Dustin I thought I was getting sick. My throat was a little sore, I was feeling worn out, and I had definitely over salted dinner in his opinion. I woke up in the middle of the night shivering under all my blankets. Bad news. Since Dustin now has to go to early morning meetings before church, I knew getting myself and the kids ready for church was going to be rough that morning (although I'm used to doing it solo.) I forced myself to eat the delicious pancakes I had made for breakfast and got the kids and myself ready, even though when I walked out the door, I still looked kinda crappy. :( But I had taken the last of our cold medication so that I would hopefully be able to sit through sacrament meeting and the kids Primary Program. I did okay for the first couple of hours (and enjoyed how well my kids did with their parts in the program) but I HAD to go home for the 3rd hour. Upon walking in the house, I removed my heels and jewelry and climbed straight into bed. Pretty much stayed there for the rest of the day. 

My in-laws came to check in on us later that night, and after seeing me in such a sorry state, my mother-in-law took great pity on me and offered to be at my house the next morning at 6:30 to help get Carson off to school. She did just that, and stayed pretty much the whole day, taking care of me, the boys, our laundry, taking me to the doctor, picking up my prescription, you name it! Turns out I had a tonsil infection (that would explain all the horrible flu-like symptoms) and possibly strep throat (which would explain why I couldn't eat anything.) The goal was to be feeling much better after 48 hours on my antibiotics. And I was, until I started getting a stuffy head and a runny nose. So now I'm back to laying on the couch (like I ever really got up!) resting and pushing A LOT of liquid into this poor ol body. 

And if that wasn't enough to keep me occupied enough, Jensen had a little accident. He was running around before bed time (which we had already asked him to stop doing) and of course slipped, fell and slammed his hand into the wall. I could tell pretty quickly something wasn't right. His left pinkie was hanging off his hand in a very odd angle. So it was up to Dustin to take him to the ER while I bathed the other boys and got them in bed. That was about 7pm. They waited to be seen at the hospital 5 minutes from our house for a couple of hours. His finger wasn't looking any better.
 Once he was seen, and X-rays were taken, they determined it was broken and that in his situation they needed him to go to Dell Children's Medical Center (about an hour away from our house) to be properly treated. This was about 5 hours into his night in the ER. He was pretty tired.
 They were able to sedate him, re-set his finger and then they put a soft cast on him and allowed him to go home. We'll wait to see a hand specialist sometime next week to make sure the bones were set correctly and then get a real cast. Dustin said he was so good the whole night and he never seemed to stop talking. He did well coming out of his anesthesia and he hasn't complained once today about being in any pain. He's been happy as a hog to just sit on the couch like so and watch t.v. 
So, for now it looks as though "laying on the couch" might become a more permanent theme around here. But I am so thankful for my MIL and all my friends who have brought dinner, picked up my carpool, called, texted or emailed me and have been super watchful of our family. We'll count those blessings.

No comments: