Tuesday, June 7, 2011

First time Swimmers

So, I realize I live in a place where you might be able to use a pool 90% of the year, and yet, my children, now ages 5 (nearly 6) and 3, cannot swim. And it's not that they can't do a proper back stroke or a swan dive, or even doggy paddle. They cannot even keep themselves afloat, let alone "swim." And it's not like we never go to the pool. We're at the pool at least once a week during the summer. Part of the problem is that I usually have a baby to hold, so I can't exactly give a swimming lesson while making sure the infant doesn't drown. The other problem is that it's always just me at the pool, since my hubby doesn't like going to the pool. And perhaps my kids just aren't naturally inclined, like I've noticed in some of our friends children. But we're on the right path. We FINALLY signed them up for swimming lessons. (I know, there's something wrong with us as parents.) Today was their first day.

They were very excited to be taking lessons with their friend, Lusia. How cute are they all sitting together?Carson was very nervous about today. He is the one who still cries when you get his face wet in the bathtub. He really tried hard, though. The best was watching him try to "jump" into the pool. He pretty much would crouch down by the edge and hold onto his teachers hands and then kinda scoot himself into the water. I'm sure the instructors thought he was crazy, but this is not my first experience trying to get him to jump into the pool. I've seen this MANY a time! We'll have to work on this skill.
Jensen did pretty well. He's much less concerned about getting his face wet than Carson is. His main problem was wanting to come and hang out with me during the lesson. He's been going through this "Mama's Boy" phase lately. Speaking of Mama's Boys, here's one of my favorites! :) Mason loves to make this face. Especially when someone is trying to take his picture! And he's super good at the pool. We just have to make sure he's wearing a hat, since his partially bald head tends to burn easily. (And no, that is not my super tan hand holding him. That's our friend, Jake, who was nice enough to hold him for me this morning.)

3 comments:

EJ said...

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think Carson is that old for never having had swimming lessons. Mason looks so much like Jensen in that picture! And you are a brave woman for taking all of your kids to the pool by yourself. I don't think I could handle my two kids by myself. I don't care if Eric doesn't want to go to the pool; I make him come whether he wants to or not, so you are a nicer wife than me. :)

Niki said...

Are the swim lessons OUTSIDE?? That is crazy. I think the older kids are when they start swim lessons probably the faster they will catch on. And you are one cool mom for taking your kids swimming by yourself--with 3 kids--that is amazing!

Maren and Dustin said...

Of course our swimming lessons are outside- it's 100 degrees here! Sadly, it's not even officially summer yet. All the more reason to get these kids swimming so we can go to the pool more often!