I had the wonderful opportunity to serve on a community committee to help give aid to a family who we have become friends with over the past couple of years. Two of their 3 children have terminal illnesses. And they are some of the funnest, sweetest and wonderful people. You can read more about their story at
www.caringforthecranes.com.
We held a large fundraising event yesterday. We worked to organize a BBQ dinner, a carnival, concessions, and a silent auction. I'm not going to lie, it was a lot of work. We spent just 6 short weeks preparing for the event. But it was so worth every minute.
 |
| Getting set up the night before. I got to work with some seriously amazing people. |
 |
| I worked at the front table at the event, giving people their will call BBQ tickets, selling carnival tickets, bracelets, T-shirts, and taking donations. It was non-stop busy from 3pm until about 6, when it finally slowed down. We ended the event at 7 pm. I loved talking to everyone who came! |
 |
| Dickey's BBQ here in Kyle donated all the food for the BBQ plates. We sold over 500 plates. |
 |
| My kids had a total blast at the carnival. I honestly didn't get to see it in action- but it looked like fun from afar! And can you believe that everything at the carnival was donated!?! |
 |
| This is Emmalee Crane, who is currently battling cancer. She loves horses, and we were super excited to have the Little Horses of America come to the event. |
 |
| Local TV station came out to the event to interview the family and publicize their story. We are still getting donations online, thanks to them. |
 |
| This was our total after the fundraiser. We still have money trickling in, which will not only help the family with their medical bills, but allow the mom, Lisa to quit her job and stay home with her beautiful children. I know you can't buy time, but I think we just did a little. |
 |
| This was Steven and Lisa Crane getting the total. Pure awesomeness. |
There were so many amazing things that happened to us while working on this project. So many people who were SO generous, and so many people who reached out to us to find ways to help. There was always someone crying at our meetings while telling everyone about these amazing experiences (and a lot of times it was all of us).
At our very first "Caring for the Cranes" committee meeting, our chairperson, Michelle, said that not only would we bless this family with our service, but we would feel blessed to have been apart of it. I didn't realize how profoundly true her words would be. I absolutely felt blessed to have been apart of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment