Tuesday, December 20, 2011

10th Anniversary Trip

Dustin and I got the wonderful opportunity to take a special trip for our 10th anniversary this year. Dustin wanted to go to Las Vegas and finally get to see some of the cool shows we always see advertised there. My awesome in-laws agreed to watch the boys for the entire weekend, which was such a blessing. We didn't have to worry about the kids, and we were actually able to relax and enjoy ourselves.

On Friday morning we went and got pedicures at the Luxor's Spa (which is where we stayed). Then we spent the rest of the day walking around, shopping and getting everything ready for Saturday. Friday night we trekked down to the other end of the strip and saw The Blue Man Group. It was super fun. Music was cool, comedy was funny, and everything was clean. (Which is more than we can say for the rest of Vegas. My lungs are finally recovering from all the nasty cigarette smoke!) Anyway, as we were coming out of the show, we ran into one of the "Blue Men" and I got to shake his hand and take a picture with him. Gotta love their crazy eyes!
 
One of the things Dustin really wanted to do on our trip was a car driving experience. When we first booked our trip, he discovered that the place that did it on the track in Las Vegas was closed in December. So when we got there he figured the next best thing would be to go to the Ferrari dealership. But when he googled it to find where it was, he discovered a different car driving experience that allowed you to drive on the streets instead of around the track. (We later learned it had only opened the week before we arrived!) So he booked an 8:30 am appointment for Saturday. Because we had such an early time, no one else was signed up, so it was like getting a private appointment! Dustin got to drive a Bentley, and Audi, and a Ferrari.
 I got to ride along! All three cars were cool, but Dustin loved the Audi the most.
Because we were the only ones on the tour, they let Dustin drive the cars to and from the office to Red Rock Canyon. It was our bonus tour!
We both loved our guide, Roland. He had been a professional race car driver, but now he's an older gentleman who's been retired for many years. He was delightful to talk to, and he made our experience so much more fun. We were also glad we got to do this on Saturday morning, because after all the walking we did on Friday- our feet needed a rest!
Late Saturday morning my parents came into Vegas to go to the Lion King with us! We had awesome 3rd row seats, which allowed us a really cool view of all the performers. The costumes were incredible and some of the voices were unforgettable. (The woman who played Rafiki the baboon was in the original '94 soundtrack.)
 After the show we went to eat at Trattoria del Lupo for dinner. My parents stayed the night in Vegas at the same hotel.
On Sunday, we drove to St. George and went to church with my parents. Then we spent a relaxing day with them, and had dinner with my 90 year old grandpa. It was great to be able to see him again, and I was happy that he remembered who I was.

We had such a great time. We got to sleep in, take naps, eat really good food, visit with family, see really great shows, and most importantly spend time together. Happy 10th Anniversary Dustin!

5 comments:

The Mrs. and The Momma said...

Oh my goodness! I wondered where y'all went....I went by Susan's and saw the boys there. How fun! I'm so glad y'all had some quality time together and were able to experience such fun stuff! I love the first pic of you two....you look gorgeous!

So, is Dustin itching for an Audi now? It could totally be a family car!

SD and EJ said...

I agree, you look so pretty in that first picture. So cool you guys got to do that. Hooray for grandparents willing to babysit!

Jenn said...

Glad it was fun and you were able to get away!

The Jensen Seven said...

I'm glad you had fun! I love trips with my husband too!! When we went on our 10th anniversary cruise I was pregnant with Sam. Can you imagine 5 kids in 10 years!?! Our 15th anniversary cruise was much more relaxing leaving 5 much bigger kids. :)

Our Little Family said...

What a fun adventure! (too bad we are 2 years late on meeting up with you guys there!!) Glad you had fun in the land of sin. It really is a fun place--except for the smoke, but hey, after a while, you can hardly even notice it! lol.